Auditions for the MAC’s Nov. Production of “Church & State”
Saturday, August 27, 12:00pm-2:00pm
Sunday, August 28, 10:00am-12:00pm
Church & State
Written by Jason Odell Williams
Directed by Donn Tyler
Friday, November 4 – Sunday, November 6
Thursday, November 10 – Sunday, November 13 (Nov. 10 tentative)
Only fully vaccinated actors will be considered for roles.
Marion Art Center Theater announces open auditions for the upcoming production of Church & State written by Jason Odell Williams.
Synopsis: Three days before his bid for reelection, in the wake of a school shooting in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, a Republican U.S. senator makes an off-the-cuff comment to a blogger that gets leaked on “the Twitter,” calling into question the senator’s stance on guns and God. As his devoutly Christian wife and his liberal campaign manager try to contain the damage, this look at how religion influences politics and how politics has become a religion is simultaneously funny, heartbreaking, and uplifting.
Director Donn Tyler will be casting five roles: one male and one female able to play forties/early fifties, one female able to play thirties/early forties, and two males or females able to play twenties.
- Senator Charles Whitmore (R/NC) – Male. 40s-50s. Born and raised in North Carolina, he is the junior US Senator up for reelection. He’s a rare honest politician and gifted public speaker. A family man who loves his wife, sons, and constituents.
- Sara Whitmore – Female. 40s. Charlie’s wife. Also born and raised in North Carolina. She loves her family, Jesus, and the Bible. A tough Southern woman who is nonetheless sweet, charming, and likable.
- Alex – Female. 30s-40s. Charlie’s campaign manager. A fast-talking, no-nonsense liberal from New York whose star is on the rise as a go-to campaign manager. She’s a professional at the top of her game, but she knows her career is on the line if this election goes badly.
- Tom – Male/Female. 20s. A paid intern, he/she is simple with a good heart. An NC State grad, he/she is devoted to Carolina and to Charlie.
- Marshall – Male/Female. 20s. A blogger with Christian values but not much journalistic experience.
Please send any questions to Director Donn Tyler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 27, 2022
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
August 28, 2022
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Venue: Marion Art Center
Venue Phone: 508-748-1266Address: