ArtStart is the MAC's summer art program for children aged 4 1/2 to 9 years, offered in June and July.
ArtStart teachers are specialists in music, dance, theater, and art, most of whom teach throughout the year and are professionals in their fields. Activities include arts and crafts, theater, music, games, and storytelling. The ArtStart program runs weekly, from 9:00am‒12:30pm daily, except for July 4 (if it falls on a weekday). During a normal year, Fridays are performance days, and children are released at 1:00pm. Children must bring a bag lunch and water every day. MAC members have access to early registration and receive a significant discount on ArtStart tuition.*
Registration for ArtStart 2021 opens for MAC members (in person and by phone or email only) on Friday, February 5. Registration for nonmembers will open on Friday, February 26. Online registration will go live on February 26. Not yet a member? Get a jump on early registration by joining the MAC family today!
*Current MAC membership at the Family level ($75) or above is required for discounted ArtStart tuition and early registration. Visit our membership page here to join the MAC. If you are uncertain if your membership is current, please call the MAC at (508) 748-1266.
Due to very limited capacity, ArtStart fees are nonrefundable unless ArtStart is cancelled.
The MAC Announces New Camp Director for ArtStart 2021
The Marion Art Center is pleased to welcome Benares Angeley as its 2021 ArtStart Director. Angeley has been working with children in creative art endeavors for more than twenty years. She is the founder and director of Children’s Art Lab, a creative, process-based mobile art studio that brings art to children and families through the SouthCoast region. Angeley teaches pre-K through 8th grade art and music at St. Francis Xavier School in Acushnet, MA while operating Art Lab through several venues. Angeley has run many Art Lab programs at the Marion Art Center and has contributed to the MAC’s virtual programming, as well as other community partnerships such as the grassroots organization Tri-Town Against Racism. She received her Masters of Fine Arts in Fibers from the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth in 2005 and is currently working toward obtaining her Masters in Elementary Education through Merrimack College in North Andover, MA.
ArtStart 2021 Schedule
ArtStart runs 9:00am‒12:30pm daily. If we are able to hold performances this year, camp will end at 1:00pm on Fridays only.
Cost per session: MAC Members: $215 | Nonmembers: $240
- Session 1: Monday, June 28 - Friday, July 2 SOLD OUT - Please call to be added to wait list.
- Session 2: Monday, July 5 - Friday, July 9 SOLD OUT - Please call to be added to wait list.
- Session 3: Monday, July 12 - Friday, July 16 SOLD OUT - Please call to be added to wait list.
- Session 4: Monday, July 19 - Friday, July 23 SOLD OUT - Please call to be added to wait list.
- Session 5: Monday, July 26 - Friday, July 30 SOLD OUT - Please call to be added to wait list.
ARTSTART 2021 UPDATE
The MAC is eager to bring back ArtStart in 2021. We're working closely with our director and instructors to determine how we can run a program that it safe and fun! State regulations change constantly, but we hope to have more flexibility by the summer. What could ArtStart 2021 look like? Here are some changes you might expect this year (all TBD):
- Mask requirement for all children (unless prohibited by health condition) and MAC employees
- Daily at-home temperature screenings, frequent hand washing and sanitizing while at the MAC
- Staggered arrival and pick up times for children
- Fewer children in a group (depending on state limitations)
- "Pods" that stick together and stay in the same classroom for the week (teachers will rotate throughout the building)
- Take-home "backup kits" in case a child tests positive during the week
- No end-of-week performance in the MAC Theater - we might offer recorded, downloadable videos or outdoor acts
- Many more creative outdoor activities - use of the MAC's lawn, patio, and Bicentennial Park
- Extending our program depending on capacity - we will offer at least five weeks this year, perhaps more!
Job Openings for ArtStart 2021
The Marion Art Center is no longer accepting new applications.