ArtStart is the MAC's summer art program for children ages 4 1/2 to 9 years, offered in June and July each year.
ArtStart teachers are specialists in music, dance, theater, and art, most of whom teach throughout the year and are professionals in their fields. Activities include arts and crafts, theater, music, games, and storytelling. The ArtStart program runs weekly, from 9:00am‒12:30pm daily, except for July 4 (if it falls on a weekday). Children must bring a bag lunch and water every day. MAC members have access to early registration and receive a significant discount on ArtStart tuition.* Currently the MAC has a mask requirement for all children (unless prohibited by health condition) and all MAC employees. All MAC/ArtStart employees and program volunteers must be fully vaccinated and boosted (as time allows) against COVID-19.
Early registration for ArtStart 2022 opens for MAC Members on Friday, January 28. Registration for nonmembers will begin on Friday, February 18. Not yet a member? Get a jump on early registration by joining the MAC family today!
*Current MAC membership at the Family level ($75) or above is required for discounted ArtStart tuition and early registration. Visit our membership page here to join the MAC. If you are uncertain if your membership is current, please call the MAC at (508) 748-1266. Any nonmember who registers during early registration period will be placed on hold until registration opens to nonmembers.
Due to very limited capacity, ArtStart fees are nonrefundable unless ArtStart is cancelled.
Registration for ArtStart 2022 opens to MAC members on Friday, January 28.
Registration opens to nonmembers on Friday, February 18.
Want to get a jump on early registration? Click the button (right) to become a MAC member!
Membership at Family level or above is required for discounted MAC tuition.
ArtStart 2022 Schedule - SOLD OUT
ArtStart runs 9:00am‒12:30pm daily.
Cost per 5 day session: MAC Members: $225 | Nonmembers: $250
Cost per 4 day session (week of July 4 only - no camp on Monday): MAC Members: $180 | Nonmembers: $200
- Session 1: Monday, June 27 - Friday, July 1
- Session 2: Tuesday, July 5 - Friday, July 8 (4 days, no camp July 4)
- Session 3: Monday, July 11 - Friday, July 1
- Session 4: Monday, July 18 - Friday, July 22
- Session 5: Monday, July 25 - Friday, July 29
ALL SESSIONS ARE CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-748-1266 to be added to the wait list.
Meet the MAC's ArtStart Program Director, Benares Angeley
The Marion Art Center is pleased to welcome Benares Angeley back as our 2022 ArtStart Director. Angeley has been working with children in creative art endeavors for more than twenty years. She is the founder and director of Children’s Art Lab, a creative, process-based mobile art studio that brings art to children and families through the SouthCoast region. Angeley is a second grade Associate Teacher at Alma Del Mar School, while operating Art Lab through several venues. Angeley frequently runs Art Labs programs at the Marion Art Center and has contributed to the MAC’s virtual programming, as well as other community partnerships such as the grassroots organization Tri-Town Against Racism. She received her Masters of Fine Arts in Fibers from the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth in 2005 and is currently working toward obtaining her Masters in Elementary Education through Merrimack College in North Andover, MA.
ARTSTART 2022 POLICIES
The MAC ran a safe and successful ArtStart program in 2021, thanks to our dedicated program director, teachers, and counselors. We know we can offer a fun, fantastic program for children again this summer! However, it's important that we remain vigilant in the face of the everchanging pandemic. For now, we're planning to run our program this year a lot like last year. Here's what you might expect:
- Mask requirement for all children (unless prohibited by health condition) and MAC employees, with plenty of outdoor mask breaks
- Daily at-home self screenings by guardians, frequent hand washing and sanitizing while at the MAC
- "Pods" that stick together and don't mingle with other groups
- No end-of-week play in the MAC Theater: While we know parents miss this, the kids really enjoyed their ArtStart experience without the pressure of learning lines! We'll still send weekly videos and photos to MAC families at the end of each week.
- More creative outdoor activities - use of the MAC's lawn, patio, and Bicentennial Park
- Five weeks again in 2022 - and additional programs for kids who have aged out of ArtStart (stay tuned!)
Job Openings for ArtStart
There are currently no openings.